Updated, August 6, 2019
Western news fabricators would have us believe that Russia is a threat. Russia is not a threat. NATO is the threat. Western politicians are fronts for self-serving, bailed-out, public-looting monopolies that create unreasonable fear for profit. Arms manufacturers are a prime example. These are the policymakers. They are war profiteers.
In 2016, General Petr Pavel, Chairman of the NATO Military Committee, admitted that,
“it is not the aim of NATO to create a military barrier against broad-scale Russian aggression, because such aggression is not on the agenda and no intelligence assessment suggests such a thing.“
Decoded, Russia was not a threat to the West.
More recently, the Secretary General of NATO, Jens Stoltenberg admitted that,
“we don’t see any imminent threat against any NATO ally.”
Decoded, Russia is still not a threat.
But war profiteers benefit from war preparations, lucrative government contracts, scare-mongering, and the demonization of foreign leaders, in this case, President Putin. All of it is based on lies and deceptions.
The lies and deceptions generate plenty of money from increasingly thirdworldized tax payers. The 2018 U.S. military budget is a staggering 700 billion dollars.
It isn’t about jobs either. According to a U.S. study (“The Page That Counts” Yes! Magazine) a billion dollars spent on the military yields 8,555 jobs, while the same amount spent on health care yields 10,770 jobs, the same amount on education yields 17,687 jobs, and the same amount on mass transit yields 19,795 jobs.
Additionally, a Brown University’s “Costs of War” project reports that, “$1 billion in military spending creates approximately 11,200 jobs, compared with 26,700 in education, 16,800 in clean energy, and 17,200 in health care.”
The Military Industrial Complex is a hallmark of publicly-funded “neoliberal” monopoly capitalism. Socialism for the rich, death and/or poverty for everyone else.
The oligarch classes need to propagandize us all, otherwise the bi-partisan, toxic system would not garner public consent. Hence monopoly news fabricators are all about spreading false narratives to generate fear, hatred, war, and war preparations.
The North American public is being “colonized” by the same monopolies that we are so eager to support.
Mark Taliano is a Research Associate of the Centre for Research on Globalization (CRG) and the author of Voices from Syria, Global Research Publishers, 2017.
1. Prof. Michel Chossudovsky, “ ’War is Good for Business’: Insider Trading, Secret Information and the US-led Attack against Syria.” Global Research. 21 April, 2018.(https://www.globalresearch.ca/war-is-good-for-business-insider-trading-secret-information-and-the-us-led-attack-against-syria/5637056) Accessed 15 August, 2018.
2. Mark Taliano, “Engineered Fears: The Fake ‘ Russian Threat ‘, The Fake ‘ Terrorist Threat ‘. “ Mondialisation.ca, 16 juillet 2016. (https://www.mondialisation.ca/engineered-fears-the-fake-russian-threat-the-fake-terrorist-threat/5536117) Accessed 15 August, 2018.
3. “NATO Secretary General previews Brussels Summit at symposium.” 11 Jul. 2018 (https://www.nato.int/cps/en/natohq/news_156834.htm” Accessed 15 August, 2018.
4. Greg Myre, “How The Pentagon Plans To Spend That Extra $61 Billion.” 26 March, 2018. National Public Radio. (https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2018/03/26/596129462/how-the-pentagon-plans-to-spend-that-extra-61-billion) Accessed 15 August, 2018.
5. Nia Harris, Cassandra Stimpson, and Ben Freeman , “More Money, Fewer Jobs: The Stubborn Truth About Employment and the Defense Industry.”
Global Research, 06 August, 2019, TomDispatch 4 August 2019.
(https://www.globalresearch.ca/more-money-fewer-jobs-stubborn-truth-about-employment-defense-industry/5685712 ) Accessed 6 August, 2019.
6. Mark Taliano, “Niagarians Join Thousands In Giant London, Ontario Rally Against Corporate Greed.” Niagara At Large. 22 January, 2012. (https://niagaraatlarge.com/2012/01/22/niagarians-join-thousands-in-giant-london-ontario-rally-against-corporate-greed/) Accessed 15 August, 2018.